Ideally, after the passing of such a crisis, we could take advantage of the removal of today’s society and reshape it in a better way. In order to do this, we must first address what is wrong with the world today.
A list seems to be in order:
- of religious differences
- of sexual orientation
- of gender identity
- of sex
- of race
- Since the dawn of agriculture, humankind has made decisions based upon their own survival, and then their own comfort, and then their own wealth, without a thought of the long term consequences. This, ironically, is what leads to the future disaster of which I speak.
- In order to avoid repeating this particular bit of history, we must make decisions with the environment in mind, and we must consider what will happen to society in the long run.
- It is human nature to look out for oneself first and foremost. This is instinct- it cannot be overridden and perhaps it should not be. However, once one’s own survival is ensured, too often our next instinct is to ensure for our own comfort.
- This is the root of many problems we face today. What I am suggesting is not of a communistic flavor; rather, to teach people to want to give, to realize that such excessive luxuries are wasteful and can easily be detrimental not only to the environment and your fellow human beings, but also to yourself.
- it seems that materialism and selfishness are quite intertwined, as my thoughts on this seem to have already been addressed in the previous bullet. Nevertheless, I will elaborate a bit.
- It is an ingrained part of out society to want physical things. There is a pull in the possession of these items, a status in ownership. It is incredibly excessive and this desire is used to manipulate many into passing one’s wealth to the manufacturer of these items. Money, in its own right, is greatest of these yearned for items.
In this reformed society, everyone would be born equal: not just under the law, but as a mindset. They are equal as people at birth- this should not be taken to mean that one person cannot be smarter or stronger than another, or that one cannot be better off economically. It simply means that a male is not more valued than a female simply because of sex (as an example. This is applicable to all other areas used today to assign value).
Similarly, predefined notions of who should love who, and what we should believe will lose their societal pull. Females may end up with males, and that would be considered normal, but on the same level of normality would be her ending up with another of the same sex. It would be widely accepted that sometimes individuals’ bodies do not match up with who they are, inside. In a sense, the whole of the population would be pansexual- a sexual orientation in which the only judgements made of a potential partner would be whether or not you loved them.
Mindset is quite possibly the most important factor in the outcome of an event. I have learned this thoroughly, having observed it’s effects within myself. As I grow to expect more and more from myself, I am able to accomplish these higher goals without putting significantly more work than I had previously. Therefore, I believe that the most important thing in shaping this society would be to practice a certain mindset, rather than attempting to force change on it’s inhabitants. As history has taught us time and time again, when people are forced into a certain way of thinking and acting, it never ends out in peace.
Obviously, what is listed here cannot encompass each and every problem we are faced with today. Anything to add would be welcome. And, as always, please argue with me.